7.09.2009

Freedom isn't free....anywhere

Photobucket

I wanted to write on something that isn't exactly new, but it is still a hot topic with the media today. I was informed by a co-worker that there was a protest march on the very street I work on, and I, obviously, was completely and totally unaware of it. It was, in fact, a part of the movement regarding Iranian women's rights. I realized that I had heard about it some time ago, thought it was horrible & went about my business. I never really thought much about it or looked into it. Then, after realizing I had been living in my own little bubble, I popped it and started doing some reading.

Now, originally when hearing about this, I assumed the Iranian women had finally had enough. I don't blame them. They have been treated and considered second class citizens for far too long. After reading further into it, it seems as though the recent presidential election is what set them off. Apparently there is believed to be a[n intentional] miscalculation of votes and a person by the name of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad took his [undue] claim to the presidential seat. The opposing parties were favored by the Iranian women and the Iranian men [with brains] since they agreed to look into the Iranian constitutional parts in regards to women's right deferments.

This has inevitably set off the Iranian women. They have been censored and repressed for far too long, and I am glad to see that they will have the freedom they deserve.

Just think about this though girls, remember these girls that are fighting for things you have everyday, bright nail polish, skirts, but more importantly, the right to have their voices heard and their votes count!

No comments: