2.15.2010

A Day of Love


To be honest, ever since I was in grade school, Valentine's Day was always a day that left a knot in my stomach. We were required to give a Valentine to each student in the class, so it was never a surprise when I had a bag full of goodies at the end of the day. The sad part about it though, it was never more than a generic "happy valentine's" or something of that nature. I always longed to open one that was a confession of a handsome boy's love, but never managed to get one of those.

You see, I was an odd duckling in grade school. I never knew what to do with my hair, I never knew the right thing to say. Now don't get me wrong, I had friends. I actually had a great group of friends, but I was far from the popular crowd. But as much as I envied them every now and then, I never wanted to be them. No, I didn't want to be the girl lying to her parents to sneak out with a boy way to old for her, I didn't even like the notion of smoking stinky cigarettes. Maybe that's why I wasn't cool enough for a true Valentine on this "day of love."

Anyways, fast forward about fifteen or so years and here I am. Married to an amazing man (who on most days seems like a absolute dream). Last Valentine's was a bit shaky but we didn't manage to spend it together (if that is what you want to call it). This year I had no preconceived intentions or plans. I have learned to let silly holidays like this go, honestly, it is just another day. Why should we feel forced to show our love on one day? I woke up to the pup in the bed and hubby right along with him, both waiting to give me morning kisses. Hubby had already let puppy out and fed him. I was showered with gifts the night before. Proactive (what?! I asked for it! lol..I had a freak out moment when a zit appeared on my face for the first time in a long time) and a Victoria Secret gift card load with cash (o I do love their panties!!)

That was more than enough to make me happy. We went to our fav soup place for lunch and headed back home to get comfy and cuddle up and watch movies all day. Goodfellas was on so I opted for that (what, who needs mushy love movies?). After the movie was over, hubby jumped up and said "I have one more thing" and pulled something out from the entertainment center. I thought to myself "o, that's what I get for not cleaning yesterday!!" lol. It was a handmade coupon book. Before I even opened it, I lost control and broke into tears, something that hardly ever happens with me. He looked confused, until I mumbled I love you, then he laughed and hugged me. After opening it I was greeted with day passes for a gas free house (thank goodness!), a massage (no molesting involved unless I wanted it), and many other great gifts. This was all I needed. Knowing that he took a couple extra minutes and made this by hand made me feel like I was the luckiest woman alive.

Ah! I love that man. Anyways, let me know what you Valentine's Day was like, single or not!

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Sounds like a lovely day!