1.04.2010

Climbing the Rockies

So as many of you know I have been trying to actively check things off of my "bucket list" if you will. Most of the stuff on my list has something to do with being super active and/or sports related. To be honest, I didn't think I'd ever be back in shape enough to live my dreams. Over the past month or so I can feel the fat shedding away, but more importantly I can feel muscles developing, which feels amazing! Yesterday I weighed myself and realized I have lost [not quite yet] about 20 pounds. Wow! That is an amazing feat for me.


Anyways, some friends of ours decided to do something active this weekend to get the men folk out of the house and away from the online gaming. The decision was made by us girls, rock climbing! Now, my friends that know me well are probably thinking "wow, you can't even walk without tripping, what on earth were you thinking!" Well, you would be surprised to hear that I actually did really well. My fear of heights hindered me at first. I watched the guys take turns, one climbing up the wall while the other anchored then vice versa. Then it was me and my female friend's turn. I was eager to let her attempt first. She is a lot smaller and flexible than me. I would watch her moves and see if I would able to do this. After getting halfway up the wall I look up and see her in a split across the wall clinging for dear life. A panic broke out and my heart started racing 'no way' I thought to myself 'you won't get me up there even if my life depended on it.' I brought her down, no problem, then eagerly agreed to be the anchor the rest of our trip. After being encouraged by everyone to go up and by hubby to "beat my fear" I strapped up and started climbing. I made it halfway up the wall on my first attempt before I let the height get to me and was encouraged to go up again and make it all the way to the top. I eventually did, quicker and actually enjoyed doing it. My shaking hands became more stable and by the end, I didn't want to leave. It was such a great experience. I have to recommend this to everyone to try at least once!

No comments: